X

The Pictures We Take

From getting off the Live Original Tour, to getting married, to moving 7 1/2 hours away, life has been moving so fast for me lately. With all of these very exciting things going on its been hard for me to even keep up with social media to try to document it all. I’ve thought a lot to myself that I need to do better, I need to be more involved on social media, I need to post better pictures, if I do something cool I HAVE to post it on social media. And that’s when I realized that I didn’t.

Once your experiences become more about getting the best picture rather than the actual experience and the people you are with then it becomes a problem. That pressure of making sure you document everything just for social media is not okay and it’s really sad to me that that’s what our lives have boiled down to. We base how great our lives are on the pictures we take and share with the world.

I have struggled with this too. It’s hard whenever you know you can post something that looks cool and you know you’ll get a lot of feedback. But I think that it all goes back to your intentions of it. When you begin to think way to much about it, it stops being fun and you lose the point. So I started to think…what is my purpose for going to the zoo, baking a cake, playing a game with my husband? Is it because I think it’ll be cool to do, so that I can take lots of pictures and post on Instagram? And sadly if I’m honest sometimes the answer is yes. What helped me stop doing this was to not even think about it on a day-to-day basis. If I wanted to take a bunch of pictures and share them to social media, then I would. If I didn’t think about taking a picture until after my awesome day was over then that’s okay too because that means that I was just having way too much fun to even think about it!

Live in the moment and don’t be thinking about social media or even trying to get the best picture possible. That is not what life is about. Pictures are a wonderful thing are so amazing to have so that you can look back on to remember that moment but don’t make your experience all about your picture. If you do then you end up looking back on the picture and there’s no experience to remember.

-Brighton

10 Comments
  • Izzy D. says:

Nicely said, Brighton! I’m so happy to have stumbled onto your blog…you have a great perspective 🙂

• […] a recent blog post at thebrightwife.com, Brighton admitted she had felt pressure to stay active on social media. Brighton said, ” […]

• Fanny says:

Wow. Thanks so much Brighton ! I came on your text thinking I’d see some pictures, and then I read it and I was really touched ! It is important to know WHY we are doing things. I also have those same feelings sometimes, and I do think it is really important to stick to what we live and enjoy present moments rather than always wanting to make photos and share them with the world… you definitely are so right! I think God can help us deal with that ! Social medias are great, but we have to manage them.

Love, Fanny

• Kaylee Brooks says:

I definitely do this all this time. And I’ve realized that the last week or so. Because I’ll find myself trying to take the right picture and come up with just the right caption to somehow “prove” that life is good right now. But then I get so busy and don’t even have the time (or energy) to post it. It’s a vicious cycle of guilt that I didn’t share the picture of that huge pizza I had last week or a picture of what I am thankful for on Thanksgiving. I’ve started to realize how pointless it is to feel bad about this! We are just called to live a good story. We don’t have to prove anything. God already knows every part of our story and that is what matters. In “Love Does” Bob Goff says something like secretly incredible people live awesome lives because they do great things without the need for applause or approval. Oh, to live like that!! Thanks for sharing this. Your words encourage me!

• Jaelah says:

hey Brighton! thank you for this. I so struggle with this. but I have learned that, like you said, it doesn’t help. it leaves you empty. because you may get a lot of feedback and +100 (I’m not famous ☺️) but that’s not what it’s about. I’ve tried to share the good and the bad, and if not that, at least that my life is not always perfect, and tho we can’t show that exactly thru social media, it’s still true. we’re allllll humans… much love! hope you and Reed are happy and enjoying newlywed life together xoxoxo

• This is such a good point! I feel like I’m horrible at social media often, but this post kind of makes me glad.

• Mary Kate says:

Good job Brighton!! I love this!

• Kathryn Mader says:

Nicely said. Social media can feed some negative things, like pushing oneself into the limelight. I realize a lot of people love to see pictures, but it’s a fine line. Am I posting for self glory? Does it become a competition? Do other people wind up feeling lesser because they see all these fabulous people posting nothing but fabulous pictures? I don’t think it’s biblically loving to go too overboard about oneself. We have to be careful we’re genuinely sharing and not boasting. Too many pictures can be a turn-off. I think you strike a nice balance, Brighton.

• Kathryn Mader says: